Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 4, 2009

George Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four": Part One

So, I chose to start off the project with George Orwell’s “Nineteen Eighty-Four”.(1984 (Signet Classics) I have heard several references to this book while listening to talk radio over the past few months (I don’t think I want to get into where I heard it, or in what context), and the book really sounds intriguing.

Just to get my feet wet, I read some reviews, and this is what Amazon’s Editorial review had to say:

“Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.”

Well, ok.

I can sink my teeth into that.

Let’s get started…..

No comments:

Post a Comment