Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" Complete...Moving on to "War and Peace"

I must be out of my mind. My husband is certain that I am out of my mind. He is concerned that reading "War and Peace" so soon will cause major burn-out so early in the project. There is that potential, but I can't let it happen.

Ok...before I get into "W & P"....I finished "1984" and loved it! What a roller coaster ending! I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It's relevancy to today is kind of scary, but other than that, it's brilliant.

Moving on....to "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. This particular version is translated by: Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (in case anyone cares). They were also the translators of "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov", both also written by Tolstoy. I chose this version over the 5 or 6 others on the Barnes and Noble bookshelf for no other reason than that it was the most recent (Copyright 2007).

Let me say that the very first few pages intimidated the heck out of me. The entire first paragraph (with the exception of the very last sentence) is written in French and there are sentences sprinkled throughout the entire book. The translations are in the footnotes, thank goodness. Also, there are many numbered notes of which you have to go to the index and find explanations for.

Those two things, in addition to a million characters, all with Russian names...well, let me just give you parts of the leading paragraph on the "Principal Characters" page:

"Russian names are composed of first name, patronymic (from the father's first name), and family name. Formal address requires use of first name and patronymic; diminutives...used by family and friends, but in blunt form can be rude or dismissive. The family name alone can be used....and on occasion only the patronymic is used, usually among the lower classes..."

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Here's an example of one of the characters and the many names he can be called:

Count Nikolai Ilyich (Nikolushka, Nikolenka, Nikolashka, Kolya, Nicolas, Coco)

That's ONE person!

Ok. So I am on page 45 and have been introduced to many of the characters by way of a "soiree" hosted by Anna Pavlovna and a "name day" open house (of sorts) at the Rostovs'. Nobility entertained a lot in the early 1800's.

In a whole-hearted attempt at keeping everyone straight, I have been taking copious notes.

This one is going to take some time to get through. My youngest is home on winter break starting on Thursday, and not returning until January 4th. It's going to be difficult to find the quiet time I'll need, but I'll figure it out.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment